Anne E. Gometz
Public Services Librarian
Head, Reference Services, Gaston County Public Library, (formerly part of Gaston Lincoln Regional Library), 1555 E. Garrison Blvd., Gastonia, NC. 704-868-2164. January 1999-to date.
- Responsible for Reference at the main library, serials for the county system, the Local History and Genealogy collection, and Interlibrary Loan.
- Supervise full-time and part-time employees;
- Write staff manuals and procedures;
- Produce public information materials including web pages;
- Do bibliographic instruction and staff training presentations;
- Do public programming.
- Select reference tools, adult non-fiction, serials, and databases.
- Provide reference service at Information Desk and via telephone and email.
- Write column, "A Librarian's Bookmarks," for Footprints in Time, journal of the Gaston Lincoln Genealogical Society, March 2014-- .
Assistant Department Head and Librarian,
Documents/Maps/Micromaterials Dept., University
Libraries, Florida State University, Tallahasee, FL, 32306. June 1981 to January 1999.
Assistant Department Head
- Hired, trained, supervised full and part-time employees;
- Wrote manuals and training materials;
- Served on library and university committees;
- Supervised Department's collection control/stack maintenance
for paper materials.
Unit Head, United Nations/State Unit
- Oversaw all functions for UN depository including processing
- Oversaw State (all states except Florida) collection.
- Before Department reorganization (1996), was also responsible
for documents from Florida, Great Britain, Canada, and
- Provided reference service at Information Desk and via telephone and
- Wrote Library Research Guides for web pages;
- Taught workshops on Netscape, Internet resources, OPAC and other
- Did bibliographic instruction on all aspects of the Libraries or
focused on special topics as requested by faculty;
- Served as the University Libraries' liaison with
the History Dept;
- Served on a multi-university cooperative resource development team on British history.
Joint appointment as Shared
Librarian at Colquitt-Thomas Regional Library, Moultrie, Ga. and
Southwest Georgia Regional Library, Bainbridge, Ga. Worked alternate two
week periods at each library. November 1974--June 1981.
Colquitt-Thomas: [Now Moultrie-Colquitt Library]
In charge of Reference Dept.
- Selected reference books and major portion of
adult non-fiction purchases;
- Weeded adult and children's collections and
- Responsible for Georgia Collection and worked with
patrons interested in genealogy and local history;
- Taught workshops, spoke to civic groups and other
organizations, and led library instructional
In charge of Genealogy and Local History Department.
- Set up department, wrote criteria for collection,
selected and cataloged all materials (books, periodicals,
microfilm, maps, archival materials);
- Worked with patrons in person and by mail and with classes in
- Did series of videotapes on beginning genealogy for use on
local cable TV;
- Did general reference work and cataloging as needed.
- M. A. (History), Florida State University, 1991.
- Thesis: The Commercial Careers of Some Native Florida
- M.L.S., Florida State University, 1973.
- B. A., University of Connecticut, 1970.
- Major: History. Minor: Sociology.
- North Carolina ECHO Digitization Institute.
- Georgia Archives Institute, cosponsored by Georgia Dept. of
- Archives and History and Emory University. One month full-time.
- ARL Office of Management Studies, Library Management Skills
- Family History Research in the United States Seminar, University of
- Computer training courses/workshops on various topics.
Publications and Special Projects
- "A Creek Indian Bibliography: Print and
- Online at http://www.rhus.com/Creeks.html.
- "Gaston & Lincoln Gleanings from South Carolina Newspapers, 1845-1875."
- Footprints in Time, December 2014.
- "Lessons from the Governor's Daddy."
- Footprints in Time, December 2013.
- "Gleanings from the Acts and Resolutions Adopted by the General Assembly of Florida at the Fourteenth Session...December 18, 1865."
- Florida Genealogist, v. 30, no. 2, April/June 2007.
- "Vegetable Hair: The Spanish Moss Industry in Florida."
- Florida Historical Quarterly, v. 66, no. 3 (January 1988.)
- "Abstracts of the Southern Spy",
- Southern Genealogist's Exchange Quarterly,
March and June 1977.
- Transcripts of Revolutionary War pension applications.
- Southern Genealogist's Exchange Quarterly,
- Indexes to History of Decatur County [Ga.] and History of
Colquitt County [Ga.]
- Used in Reprint Company editions.
- "Books for the College Bound" for Colquitt-Thomas Regional Library.
- [OCLC 3791925]
- "Skeleton Dig: Unearthing Your Family History."
- July-November 2013, Gaston County Pulic Library, 9 branches.
- "Early Botanists"
- January 1997 for various organizations.
- "James Burgess: A Life in Creek Country."
- Florida Historical Society Annual Meeting, May 1994.
- "Palmetto Industries."
- Florida Historical Society Annual Meeting, May 1991.
- "Beginning Genealogy."
- Six week course for Center for Participant
Education, Florida State University. Taught three times.
Professional and Committee Activities
At Gaston County Public Library:
- NC Live Web Advisory Committee.
At Florida State University:
- Florida Library Research Cooperative Team for British History;
- University Libraries Home Page Committee;
- Working Group on Library Research Instruction.
- Florida State University Faculty Senate;
- Florida State University Parking Services Advisory Committee;
also Subcommittee on Bicycle and Pedestrian Concerns;
- Chair, University Libraries Services Evaluation Committee;
- Chair, Task Force on International and State Government
- Chair, Task Force on International, British, Canadian and
Foreign Government Documents;
- Task Force on Library Renovation;
- Services Committee -- SACS accreditation;
- Faculty Advisory Committee;
- Task Force on Assessing Training Needs;
- Subcommittee for a Long Term Vision Statement of the Document
Delivery Planning Task Force;
- Promotion Committee;
- Merit Review Committee;
- Various faculty search committees.
- Society of Florida Archivists, Secretary-Treasurer, 1983;
- Society of Georgia Archivists, on program committee which
organized joint SGA/GLA workshop on archival techniques
for librarians, 1980/81;
- Georgia Library Association, Secretary of Reference Division,
For email, click on "Contact Information" at the bottom of this link: http://www.rhus.com
This page lasted updated 7 Feb 2015.
Go to: [Top] [Homepage] [Creek Bibliography] [Trumbull's Indian Sketches]
[Creeks in WWII] [Doster Citations] [Gometz Family]